Wednesday 6 July 2011

Shriya Shatkam


 A sextet in praise of Goddess Sri.(Lakshmi)
              Composed by Sri. Animesh
  (Taken from web site www.stutimandal.com)
                       Translated by
                   P.R.Ramachander
(I do not know who wrote this soulful prayer addressed to Goddess Lakshmi. It is extremely musical and poetic)

Na punya yagna karini, na jnana dheepa dharini,
Na loka soka bhakshini, na sarva loka rakshini,
Aham na chaiva sundari na chaithya kaksha manjari,
Thadhapi Rukhmani, Shriye, Rame, Sudhe Suraksha may.                               1

I neither do holy fire sacrifices nor wear the lamp of wisdom,
I neither am able to destroy the sorrow of the world,
Nor am I able to protect the entire world.
And I  neither very pretty nor am I bouquet of flowers in a temple,
But in spite of this take care of me, Oh Rugmani, Oh Lakshmi, Oh Rema and Oh Sudha.

Na geetha gunja madhuri, na raktha vasthra sundari,
Na pushpa dheepa dhayini, na dukha darpa mayini,
Aham na chaiva mohini, na bhagya dosha soshini,
Thadhapi Rukhmani, Shriye, Rame, Sudhe Suraksha may.                               2

I am not soulful melodious music or beauty draped in red silk.
Nor I am one, who gives flowers and lamps,
Nor I am capable of removing sorrow.
And I am neither an enchanting beauty,
Nor someone who can lessen bad luck.
But In spite of this take care of me, Oh Rugmani, Oh Lakshmi, Oh Rema and Oh Sudha.

Na Shakthida, na mukthida, na bhakthida, na shudhitha,
Na budhidha, na sidhidh, na punyadha, na dhaanyadha,
Aham naiva chaiva sheethala, na roga darpa soshitha,
Thadhapi Rukhmani, Shriye, Rame, Sudhe Suraksha may.                               3

I am not the giver of strength or salvation or devotion or cleanliness,
Nor I am the giver of wisdom or occult capability or good deeds or  wealth,
And I have not been made cold* but  affected with diseases,
But In spite of this take care of me, Oh Rugmani, Oh Lakshmi, Oh Rema and Oh Sudha.
                                *Pacified

Na yogini, na Ragini, na divya loka vasini,
Na bhootha vrunda soodhini,  na kancha puncha malini,
Aham chaiva nirjara cha raga bhootha kunditha,
Thadhapi Rukhmani  , Shriye, Rame , Sudhe Suraksha may.                               4

I am not an adept in Yoga or in music nor do I live in the holy world,
Nor I am capable of controlling devils, nor am I a garland of lotus flowers,
And I am not free of old age nor one free of sorrows of past,
But In spite of this take care of me, Oh Rugmani, Oh Lakshmi, Oh Rema and Oh Sudha.

Na kala shakthi rodhini, na manthra shakthi sangini,
Na mruthyu pasa gandini, na deva loka mandini,
Aham na chaiva shaswatha, cha bhagya dosha vismitha,
Thadhapi Rukhmani  , Shriye, Rame , Sudhe Suraksha may.                               5

I can never halt the march of fate , nor I am capable of  taking  strength from chants,
Nor I am capable of winning over death, nor Can I change the world of gods,
And I am neither permanent nor one who wonders at loss of luck,
But In spite of this take care of me, Oh Rugmani, Oh Lakshmi, Oh Rema and Oh Sudha.

Na geethika, na vandana na prarthana, na nandada,
Na sasmitha na sushmitha na kala jnana samsthitha,
Aham na chaiva chandrika, na soorya sanghini prabha,
Thadhapi Rukhmani  , Shriye, Rame , Sudhe Suraksha may.                               6

I am not songs nor salutations nor prayers  nor requests,
Nor I am giver of happiness nor one who smiles nor one who knows about the future,
And I am neither the moonlight nor the light from the Sun,
But In spite of this take care of me, Oh Rugmani, Oh Lakshmi, Oh Rema and Oh Sudha


No comments:

Post a Comment